For they who don’t know who is Gitprime? Gitprime is the first player in our market, the company that created the dev analytics market and came with a lot of contributions in our space. Along with players like Gitprime, Codeclimate & Gitalytics we’re the companies that working together in order to disrupt the market.
A few weeks ago we had validation in our market, Gitprime was acquired by Pluralsight. As one of Gitprime’s competitor, we were happy to see a big company like Pluralsight validated our market.
I would like to thank Gitprime for their contribution to the dev analytics market. We, at Waydev, along with our competitors will continue our mission of helping engineering leaders be data-driven, the market just started, and it will take us at least three to five years to see an impact from our contribution in this market.
The actual way, and how most of the engineering managers track their teams is by sprints and daily standups, we think that the future is based on real-time data and benchmarking the data with the industry. You don’t need to exclude the actual way, just need to add the new way, a data-driven approach.
What an engineering manager will gain for using a tool like ours:
A data-driven manager will use concrete metrics for daily stand-ups, 1-to-1 meetings, checking the history of the engineers work and benchmarking the stats with the industry.
- Work Log — Check the output for each commit or merge, daily.
- Daily Update — Check daily impact, compared with the last weeks’ impact.
- Developer Summary — Check specific stats for each engineer: impact, throughput, productive throughput, efficiency, technical debt, days active, work type, commit risk and history for all commits.
- Project timeline — Check complex stats for the project: work volume per total impact, code volume, commits volume, commits per active day, work trends: absolute, relative, stacked and top performers for each metric: new work, churn, legacy refactor & help others.
- Retrospective — Check how much of the code was productive and how much was churn.
Benchmarking with the industry standard:
- Dashboard — Compare metrics like total impact, code volume, commits volume, commits per active day with the industry standard.
I will recommend for any engineering leader to use a dev analytics tool if they what to have better visibility, increase the productivity and be data-driven managers.